Cur1yJ Digital NFT CryptoArt Collection
Saturday, February 6, 2021
Here it is, the Cur1yJ Digital Shop on OpenSea!
I'm excited to announce that all my digital artwork is now crypto artwork, and it exists on the Ethereum blockchain as NFTs.
My background is in finance and computer science. I started hacking when I was 10, and some of my best tech nerd homies in college introduced me to mining and cryptocurrency like Bitcoin back in 2011. I've been active in the crypto markets ever since, and I think I have a unique perspective on it, in a way that could be helpful to some people who aren't really sure what it's like to invest in a bubble, new to investing, or don't really understand what's going on with cryptocurrency and blockchain tech in general. How it's both helpful, and hurtful.
Allow me to break down some points that I think are easier to understand and keep in mind when navigating these open seas (oooh pun!).
- Cryptocurrency, like the stock market, at the moment, is purely speculative. It doesn't have much practical use for the every day life of a human. Especially when you remove 1st or 2nd world countries from this equation.
- Cryptocurrency is still pegged to the US dollar. Most people, when they want to "cash out" of a coin, they do it for their native currency.
- If the US dollar ever becomes obsolete, the entire financial world would essentially flip on its head. Literally every currency on the planet is based on the US dollar in one way or another.
- Bitcoin's technology, imho, was DOA (Dead On Arrival). From what I know about software and finance, and currency... This coin specifically, is the right idea, but the wrong answer.
- Cryptocurrency markets are so volatile, that 1 Ethereum, for example, could be worth $1,700 USD today (~ current price), and crash could happen that's so sharp, in one week it'll be worth $500 USD.
- So say I buy a house for $500k USD worth of Ethereum. You sell me that house. 1 week later, the market crashes, and now that ETH is only worth $200k. Both parties lose. My house is now worth $200k, and you only have $200k worth of ETH because you didn't convert it to USD quick enough.
- I had all of my bitcoin on Mt Gox circa 2013 after years of hoarding them at like $5/each. One day, MtGox disappeared. And so did all my crypto. I wasn't alone. Before that happened, multiple hacks occurred that were so bad they rolled back the market data by DAYS, simultaneously erasing the equivalent in trades.
- Massive risk for both parties at either end of the purchase using a coin. And the value of coins are currently is just based on bearish or bullish markets. There's no real world factors really driving it's price up or down besides traders and hype.
- Equity in markets do not increase in value forever.
- Bitcoin is different than Ethereum. Ethereum is way more practical than Bitcoin. Bitcoin is solely a cryptocurrency, whereas the tech behind Ethereum has WAY more use when it comes to artificial intelligence, dAPPs, etc... I could hypothetically build a new decentralized internet on the Ethereum blockhain. The imporant point here is that you can build things totally outside the scope of just a digital currency.
- Thus, Ethereum > Bitcoin. Down the road, you will see the value of Ethereum become more aligned with it's actual value, as people become more educated and aware, and Bitcoin will die, get hacked, go underground, whatever. Even the fact that it's already being used by the like of PayPal (essentially the reason Bitcoin was even created was because of modern finance) is a big L. RIP.
- We are in a bubble. Right now. 2021. Over half the country unemployed, pandemic lockdown, social reckoning, etc. The government is dumping trillions into the economy. Markets going up no matter what happens. People are giving it right back to them, or corporations, in the form of actions like Amazon purchases, GameStop hedge fund hype, crypto hype, YouTube consumption...
- Tread thoughtfully. The hard part comes when the bubble pops.
So now, here I am with cryptoart and OpenSea, for now. I've imagined for years a way to actually create value out of my digital artwork and creations. I do so much shit on the internet. Everything can be copied, hacked, nothign is safe, and most people forget about what they have on the HD when they get a new computer or their GFX card gets fried. I've been waiting for some things in augmented reality to get further along, and I'm super excited about that down the road. But it's not quite where I want it to be yet.
You can go to my Cur1yJ Digital Shop on OpenSea, and buy/sell/trade/own/love/share/enjoy my digital artwork, animations, paintings, experiences, etc. in a journaled and verified way. Only one of each exists, and only one owner. All tracked and valued @ the price of Ethereum. All public. Any time I finish something in the digital realms, it will live there, for now. Ways you can enjoy the artwork once you have it will continually evolve and be unique to each digital piece.
Read more about NFTs (non-fungible tokens) here.
Thanks for reading.